Additional Entities Whose Mission Is Consistent with UU Principles
1. ECO-Action. Inc. www.eco-action.net
The Green Alternative. Conducting lake and river clean-up and eco-canoe trips for over 10 years. Beth Hollenbeck, founder, is a local ecological icon and past speaker at First Unitarian.
2. Central. Fla. Women's Emergency Fund (CFWEF) www.nnaf.org
3. Florida Coalition for Peace and Justice www.fcpj.org
Supported by many UU congregations, they operate the "Teaching Farm" north of Gainesville, FL with many activities. A statewide clearinghouse for peace programs.
4. Partners in Health www.pih.org
The beneficiary of First Unitarian "Haiti Night" PIH, co-founded by Dr. Paul Farmer, provides essential HIV/Aids, TB and other medical services to poor patients in Haiti, Russia, Africa and South America.
5. Heifer, Inc. www.heifer.org
Contributors support livestock and agricultural projects (water buffalo to poultry to bee hives to planting fruit trees) throughout the world.
6. KIVA – Loans That Change Lives www.kiva.org
International program allows individuals and groups to take part in micro-lending. Small amounts are loaned to local business people under guidance of an approved NGO. Money generates local jobs, products and produce with outstanding record of pay-back.
7. Center for Earth Jurisprudence www.earthjuris.org
The premier legal organization developing legal rights for the earth and all its species and parts. St. Thomas and Barry Law Schools coordinate the program. Protecting mountains, rivers and forests; developing a legal plan for survival; promoting the "Cautionary Principle"
8. Save the Children Foundation www.savethechildren.org
Become foster parents of needy children in the U.S and other countries by a monthly contribution. First Unitarian members support children in Haiti and India.