“The Children’s Religious Education Committee” (CRE) is a Program Group overseeing and supporting Children’s Religious Education and Youth Group activities. CRE works closely with the Director of Religious Education.
MISSION, VALUE AND VISION
- Our Mission is to nurture our Children and Youth’s faith development.
- Our Values are centered on love, compassion, tolerance, respect, and service to others.
- Our Vision is to awaken the spiritual conscience in each child’s heart, mind, and body.
WHO WE ARE
In 2012-2013, the Children's RE Committee consists of
Carie Mendyk: Children's RE Commitee Chair
Louise Christie: Incoming Committee Chair
Mary Ann Horne: Outgoing Committee Chair
Clara Shine: Secretary
Bill Smithson: Treasurer
Harriett Smithson: Hospitality
Miriam Roth-Murphy & Martha Hartgering: Supplies and Teacher Support
Hunter Christie: Youth Representative
WHAT WE DO
The Children's RE Committee...
- supports the Director of Religious Education by sharing administrative and logistical functions (ex: DRE day off, substitute teach, clerical, etc)
- helps our DRE oversee and organize these regular and special items over the Church year:
- Curricula, schedules, and class/age divisions
- Registration information, attendance records, and the Annual Registration Party
- Teacher Training
- Youth Advisor Training
- Children's Worship Services (ex: Christmas Pageant, Annual End-of-Year Recognition Service)
- Church-Wide Family Friendly Socials (ex: Halloween Party, Easter Egg Hunt)
- helps DRE promote our programs and events and network with other committees on joint projects and with the larger congregation.
- helps oversee the Youth Groups Program
- helps oversee the Childcare During Worship Program and the nursery
- helps keep a close eye on Children's RE programming to ensure the safety and well being of all.
- All volunteer or compensated workers such as teachers, youth advisors, childcare coordinators, committee members, etc. shall abide by the Religious Education Policies and Procedures.
- Summer activities are oriented towards teacher recruitment, teacher training, youth advisor training, and curriculum preparations prior to the beginning of the program.
- The CRE program begins Sept 16, 2012 and ends the Sunday May 19, 2013.
- Where possible the Church School Year corresponds with Orange County School year.
- Classes(except MS OWL) start promptly at 11;15 AM and end at 12:15 AM. Children must be signed out by their parent(s). Parents may attend worship or Adult RE while children are in class.
- MS OWL begins promptly at 10:45 and ends at 12:15 with the other classes.
- Parents MAY NOT leave campus while their children are attending class. Should an emergency occur, we need to be able to find you.
All parents and friends are included in our Religious Education Ministry. All are welcome to attend Children's RE Committee meetings and share their talents.
In 2012-2013 Children’s RE Committee meets on Second Sundays at 12:30 PM in the Assembly Room (unless it is a holiday.)
The Children's RE Committee makes an effort to coordinate work with the Adult RE Committee where possible to create “lifespan learning” possible at First Unitarian.
If you’d like to learn more or wish to join the Children's RE Committee, become a teacher, or become a youth advisor -- please contact Carie Mendyk (