|Class: Healthy Children, Healthy Planet Series - May 13|
Class: Healthy Children, Healthy Planet Series - May 13
Discussion Course Goals:
• To discover ways to create meaningful family times and healthful environments for children.
• To explore ways to develop a child's connection to nature, and to foster creativity.
Introduction (May 20)
2. Family Rituals and Celebrations:(June 3) Meaningful family time can provide an antidote to cultural pressures of consumption. Explore how ritual can enrich a child's family experience and examine alternatives to elaborate celebrations and gifts.
3. Advertising: (June 10) The average child sees an estimated 20,000 commercials every year. What are the effects on our children, and what steps can adults take to lessen the impact?
4. Food and Health: (June 17) Many schools serve high-fat lunches. Soda and candy is readily available on school grounds. What is the link between diet and learning? How can adults encourage children to include healthy foods in their meals?
5. Time and Creativity: (June 24) Today's children may have schedules that rival the busiest adults. How can adults help children find balance between activities and unstructured time, which is often the source of creativity?
6. Technology and the Media: (July 1) Opinions differ on whether computers hinder or help the natural process of child development. Watching TV can displace more valuable experiences. What steps can adults take to create a healthy media environment at home?
7. Exploring Nature: (July 8) Children have an affinity for the natural world and as Rachel Carson says, "an inborn sense of wonder." As children spend more time indoors, they connect less to the wild places in their neighborhood. How can we give children the opportunity to connect with the natural world?