General Information About Our Website
The First Unitarian website is built on Joomla which is a free content management system. Joomla provides tools to allow the Web Team to customize the look of the website within Joomla's boundaries, and it provides tools so that users can add, edit, and publish articles and calendar events without any programming knowledge.
User-Driven Features of our Website
Our website offers:
- Articles - Users submit articles of any length and these are published to one of the categories that can be selected from our menus. The most recent articles are also listed on our Home Page under the Latest Postings header.
- Calendar - Users submit calendar items with short descriptions, and these are published to the calendar which can be selected from our menu. The most immediate events are also listed on our Home Page under the Upcoming Events header.
- EBlast - The EBlast is our weekly emailed newsletter. Our website provides a form (Members | Submit EBlast Item) that users can fill out to submit an EBlast item or to communicate with the Web Team member who is compiling the EBlast.
- Order of Service - The Order of Service is a printed program handed out in the worship service every Sunday. Our website provides a form (Members | Submit Order of Service Item) that users can fill out to submit an announcement to go in the next Order of Service or to communicate with the person who is compiling the Order of Service.
The Elements of our Pages
Most of our pages have:
- Page header
- Menu bar
- Content area
The Elements of our Home Page
The Home Page content area contains:
- Three columns containing third-party modules such as Upcoming Events and Latest Postings, and free-form modules such as Newcomers and Sunday Service/Worship.
The Elements of our Category Pages
The user-submitted articles are published on the Category Pages. They categories can be reached through the menu system. Examples of categories are: Fellowship, The Alliance, and Adult Religious Education. The category page content area contains:
- Static part - The top part of the page is static (doesn't change). The Static part contains a title, some text, and an image (optional), and the text should include a contact email address. The committee in charge of this page (eg, the Fellowship committee is in charge of the Fellowship page) may request changes from the Web Team once or twice a year by emailing the new content to the webmaster.
- Dynamic part - Under the Static part is the Dynamic part. This is a list of the most current articles for this category. The committee in charge of this page can submit up to two articles per month, and the newest articles will appear here automatically. Submit articles by clicking the Members | Submit An Article menu item, and then following the instructions.
Web Team members have permission levels of Editor, Publisher, and Administrator.
Every church member with a valid email address has a permission level of Author.
The Web Team members at Administrator level can do these functions:
- Change the Page header.
- Add/edit menu items on the menu bar.
- Change the modules in the columns on the Home page.
The Web Team members at Editor and Publisher level can do these functions:
- Edit articles submitted by Authors.
- Publish articles submitted by Authors.
Authors can do these functions:
- · Submit articles.
- · Edit their own articles after publication.